Buses are a common means of transportation. They transport hundreds of people every day around New York City. However, individuals could be seriously injured in a bus accident due to negligence. Several parties could be negligent for bus accident injuries. If you have been injured in a bus accident due to negligence, reach out to an experienced New York City Bus Accident Lawyer who can help you recover monetary compensation for your injuries.
Who is liable for a bus accident injury?
When a bus accident occurs, it may be challenging to determine who is liable because more than one party’s negligence could have contributed to the cause of the accident. Several parties may act negligently which results in accidents and injuries. The following may be responsible for bus accident injuries:
- Bus drivers
- Bus companies
- Bus manufacturers
- Other motorists
- Government entity or municipality
Depending on the circumstances of the accident, one or more of these parties could be liable for damages in a bus accident. Oftentimes, bus accidents are caused by bus drivers who drive recklessly. However, bus companies and manufacturers could be liable if they failed to make necessary repairs or failed to fix defective parts. Other motorists on the road could also be held accountable if their negligent actions cause an accident such as drunk driving. In certain cases, municipalities are responsible for damages because of unsafe road conditions.
What to do after you are injured?
- Seek immediate medical attention. Injured individuals should call 911. Victims must have their injuries treated by a medical professional. Oftentimes, individuals believe they are fine and that their injuries are minor. However, certain injuries may not be visible such as organ damage. Certain injuries could also have delayed effects. It is common for bus accident victims to sustain serious physical and mental trauma. Additionally, individuals should keep medical records indicating their injuries’ extent.
- File a police report. Individuals must file an accident report with the police as it will document the incident.
- Collect evidence. Individuals should gather as much evidence as they can to prove their injuries were directly caused by negligence. Victims should take photographs and videos of the scene. If a hazardous condition is visible, take a photo to show the unsafe conditions of the bus that was left unattended.
- Contact information. Often, when a bus accident occurs, more than one person sustains injuries. In this case, victims should gather other victims’ contact information as they can help back up the claim. If anyone witnessed the accident, individuals should gather their contact information as well as it will help back up claims of negligence.
- Avoid speaking with insurance companies. When an individual is injured due to negligence, the negligent parties’ insurance company will quickly approach them to catch them off guard. They will try to offer victims a lowball settlement to quickly settle the case and save their company as much money as possible. Injured individuals should avoid speaking with the negligent parties’ insurance companies. They will try to use victims’ words against them. Victims should never minimize their injuries. They will try to make victims admit fault. Victims should never admit fault.
- Consult a lawyer. Victims must retain the legal services of a skilled New York City bus accident lawyer. A lawyer can help injured individuals investigate the cause of the accident as well as gather evidence that backs up their claims. A lawyer can help victims fulfill the burden of proof.
If you have been injured in a bus accident due to negligence, seek legal assistance from one of our determined and skilled team members. Our firm is committed to helping our clients recover reasonable damage for their losses sustained from a bus accident injury.