If you were involved in a pedestrian accident, you’re likely scared, in shock, and unsure of who you can trust. A New York City pedestrian accident lawyer can help you manage the legal process and fight for the compensation you rightfully deserve. Motorists have a responsibility to share the road safely with other motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians. Sadly, in New York, accidents involving vehicles and pedestrians are all too common, and these accidents can cause serious injuries for those involved. Contact the Law Offices of Brian J. Elbaum today to schedule your free initial consultation with our firm.
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Serving Clients in New York City
Our legal team can help you build a strong case and fight for the compensation you rightfully deserve. If someone else’s negligence caused your accident, you shouldn’t be stuck with medical bills, rehabilitation costs, and the stress of long-term pain. Our New York auto accident lawyer will help you fight for any and all compensation, so that you can focus on your recovery.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Being struck by a vehicle while out for a jog or walking the dog can change your life in an instant. Unfortunately, the majority of these accidents aren’t caused by pedestrians, but by unsafe or distracted motorists. If your accident was caused by the negligence of a motorist, you may be entitled to compensation. A few examples include:
- Distracted driving
- Texting while driving
- Reckless driving
- Excessive speed
- Impaired vision
- Improper lighting
- DUI or driver intoxication
When you hire a New York pedestrian accident lawyer, your attorney will be responsible for investigating your accident and helping to determine its cause. Our investigations include witness interviews, consultations with experts, collecting police reports, and more.
A pedestrian accident can turn your world upside down. Victims often face new financial and physical struggles. Medical bills and lost wages can put financial pressure on you, and long-term pain can be debilitating.
Victims can pursue compensation for any and all costs related to their accidents. There are two main types you can pursue, including compensatory and punitive damages. Compensatory damages provide coverage for costs directly related to the accident. This can help you pay for:
- Medical bills, long-term care
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
In addition to compensatory damages, you can seek punitive damages. Punitive damages are a form of financial punishment in cases of gross negligence or malice. These damages are awarded by a jury if your case goes to trial, and they’re awarded on top of any compensatory damages.
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident
Most accident victims don’t know what to do after an accident. They’re often in shock, in physical pain, and unsure of what to do next. We recommend you follow these steps to protect your rights and safety:
- Seek Medical Care – Call 911 and seek medical attention for your injuries. Your safety should be your top concern. If you are in the way of oncoming traffic, move to an area that’s within visible distance of the accident scene.
- File a Police Report – When first responders arrive, you may be interviewed by investigators. Provide as much detail as you can about the accident, but do not admit fault. Even if you were uninjured, it’s important to contact the police and file a report.
- Document Injuries – Take note of any injuries you have with photos, including cuts and bruises, any areas of ripped clothing, or areas of pain.
- Avoid Admitting Fault – When you talk with investigators, it’s important that you do not discuss fault. Admissions of fault can harm your case, even if you incorrectly implicate yourself.
- Seek Legal Advice – It’s important to contact a New York City pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as possible. The statute of limitations for pedestrian accidents is two years in New York. The sooner you contact an attorney, the stronger the case you can build.
Contact Us Today
If you were hurt as a pedestrian by a motor vehicle, you need a legal team you can trust. Contact the Law Offices of Brian J. Elbaum today to schedule your free case evaluation with our dedicated personal injury law firm.