When individuals rent an apartment, they are trusting that their landlord is maintaining a safe environment to ensure no injuries occur on the property. However, if a landlord leaves a hazardous condition unattended significant accidents and injuries may result. Injuries sustained in apartment accidents can negatively affect a victim’s life. Injured individuals may be bombarded with expensive medical bills and experience emotional distress. Whatever the case may be, victims may be entitled to recover economic and non-economic damages. If you have been injured in an apartment accident due to negligence, contact a determined New York City Apartment Accident Lawyer who can help you recover reasonable damages for your losses.
What are the most common causes of apartment accidents in NYC?
There are various ways tenants and guests may be injured in an apartment accident. If a landlord leaves a hazardous condition unattended or fails to display the proper warning signs, significant injuries may result. The most common causes of apartment accidents include:
- Unsafe staircases
- Broken handrailings
- Inadequate lighting
- Mod or asbestos
- Exposure to lead paint
- Defective smoke or carbon monoxide detectors
- Unsafe apartment pools
- Uneven flooring
- Poor weather conditions (snow and ice)
- Bed bugs
- Defective elevators
- Poorly placed or torn carpets
- Faulty wiring or electrical outlet
What should victims do after being injured in an apartment accident?
Injured individuals should gather evidence to back up their claims. In New York City, victims must fulfill the burden of proof to recover financial compensation. By gathering evidence, injured individuals can prove their injuries sustained in an apartment accident were directly caused by a landlord’s negligence. After an apartment accident victims should:
- Call 911
- File an accident report
- Make sure your injuries are treated by a medical professional
- Seek immediate medical attention
- Keep medical records that show the extent of your injuries
- Take photos and videos of the hazardous condition
- Take photos and videos of the dangerous condition that led to your injuries
- It is important to gather contact information from anyone who witnessed the incident that can back up your claim
- Contact an experienced New York City apartment accident lawyer
- A qualified lawyer can help victims investigate and gather evidence
- We can help you acquire security footage, pertinent documents, and other pertinent evidence that could help your case
Injured individuals must gather evidence to satisfy the burden of proof. If your landlord knew or should have reasonably known about the hazardous condition and failed to remedy it, victims can hold them civilly liable for injuries sustained in an apartment accident. Victims have three years from the date the injuries were sustained to file a claim against a negligent party. If a victim fails to file a claim within this timeframe, they will be barred from ever doing so.
If you or someone you love has been injured in an apartment accident due to negligence, reach out to one of our skilled and determined team members. Our firm is committed to helping our clients seek the justice they deserve. We are ready to fight on your behalf and help hold liable parties accountable for their negligence.