3 Personal Injury Tips

Contact Us Today!

The other day we got a call from an individual who wanted to know, “What do I look for in an attorney regarding a personal injury case in New York City?” The answer to that question is you want to make sure that it’s an attorney who practices personal injury litigation. That means an attorney who knows how to prosecute an automobile accident case, who knows how to prosecute a truck accident case, who knows how to prosecute a slip and fall case, who knows how to prosecute a construction case, etc. You also want to make sure it’s an attorney that you feel comfortable with. You and that attorney are going to have a relationship throughout the case, and you want to be sure it’s somebody that you feel is going to be looking out for your best interest. These are the important things that you should always consider when deciding on who you would want to handle your personal injury case.

Personal Injury Insurance Investigation

Clients often call and say, “The insurance company just called. Should I talk to an insurance company after I’m involved in an accident?” The answer is you should seek counsel first. First, speak with an attorney. An attorney will know exactly what to say to the insurance company. The attorney will know exactly what issues are going to come up and will be in a better position to discuss those issues with the insurance carrier.

The insurance carrier is there to protect the insurance carrier’s assets. While they may have an obligation to you as maybe the insured, they’re always going to be looking to protect their assets. The wiser thing to do is to have an attorney get involved and make that first connection with the insurance company.

Personal Injury Medical Bills

Clients often call and tell us, “I just had an accident. Who’s going to pay my medical bills?” It depends. It depends on the type of accident that you’re in. If it’s an automobile accident, the host vehicle, the vehicle that you were in should provide you with what they call no-fault benefits, which is up to $50,000. They would be the primary place where the medical provider will go to get their compensation for your treatment.

If it’s a construction accident, where you were in the course of employment, you may have a case against a third party, but your employer will have what’s called workers’ compensation coverage to cover your medical bills. If it’s a slip and fall, frankly it may go initially to your own health policy, your own health coverage. If you don’t have coverage, there are other avenues or other ways to get you those medical bills paid. I would recommend that you seek an attorney to discuss these issues with you.

Have you or a loved one been injured because of someone else and have questions about these 3 personal injury tips? Contact the Law Offices of Brian J. Elbaum today for a free case evaluation.

Contact Us Today!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

© 2024 Law Offices of Brian J. Elbaum.
All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer | Sitemap | Privacy Policy