Insurance Companies Are Not Your Friends
After an accident, you may hear from insurers and attorneys for the trucking company. You’re not legally obligated to talk with them. In fact, we recommend that you do not. Instead, we recommend that you contact a qualified New York truck accident lawyer.
Insurance companies do not have your best interests in mind. They care about the bottom line most. Therefore, they may delay, ignore, or outright deny your insurance claims. And the attorneys for the at-fault party will seek to undercut your case.
You should contact an attorney before calling your own insurance company too. You might be their client, but still, they may not have your best interests in mind. A lawyer helps protect you against unfair settlement offers.
What to Do If You Were Involved in an Accident
In the immediate aftermath of a trucking accident, you may be fighting for your life, in immense pain, and in severe shock. In the days following the accident, you may not know where to turn or who you can trust. There are steps we recommend you take to protect your rights and your safety. If you were involved in a truck accident, we recommend you:
- Seek Medical Attention – Your safety and the safety of your passengers should be your number one concern. If you are able to, call 911. Witnesses or other involved parties are responsible for calling for help, if you cannot call 911.
- Get Out of Harm’s Way – If you are located in way of oncoming traffic, you should seek a safe space within viewing distance of the scene.
- Collect Evidence – If you are able to, take photos and videos of the accident scene. Record any details about the accident you remember, as well road conditions. Also, take photos of your vehicle and collect witness contact information.
- Talk with Investigators – If you do not require medical attention, you can talk with investigators. Provide any details you can about the accident. But DO NOT admit fault.
- Avoid Admitting Fault – Investigators and insurance companies may want your opinion on who caused the accident. You should not admit fault. This can hurt your case, even if you improperly implicate yourself.
- Seek Legal Advice – A New York truck accident lawyer can help you manage the legal process and fight for the maximum compensation. Contact an attorney as soon as possible after your accident.
Types of Compensation Available for Victims
After an accident, victims face many new challenges – both physical, emotional, and financial. For example, paying for medical bills can become an overwhelming burden, and lost wages from time away from work can add financial stress.
Compensation is available for victims for any and all costs related to their accidents. These accidents can cause financial and non-financial burdens, including lost wages, loss of earning capacity, and pain and suffering. Your lawyer will help you fight for any and all compensation, including to help pay for:
- Medical bills, rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages, lost earning capacity
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of normal life
- Disability or disfigurement
Ultimately, you have the right to fair compensation. Your attorney’s job is to fight for the maximum amount to help you recover emotionally and financially.
Call Our New York Truck Accident Lawyer for a Free Case Evaluation
If you or a loved one were injured in an accident involving a semi-truck, we want to help. We offer 100% free, no-obligation case evaluations. You can contact us anytime, and we’ll listen to the details of your case. Call now for a confidential consultation.
Read Our FREE Truck Accident Guide
Follow us on Facebook